Basic Medical Coverage
All team members are required to have basic medical coverage, either through the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) or an alternative medical insurance, if ineligible for MSP.
Rugby Canada Coverage
Rugby Canada’s insurance policy does not provide medical coverage if you do not have basic medical insurance.
There is now a BC-wide rugby insurance plan for physio etc. for paid-up players. Here is what covered in the plan: click here
Making a supplemental coverage claim
Please see below for steps for current insurance claim process:
1. Immediately complete an injury and witness report within 24 hours of the incident occurring
• Injury report to be completed by athlete (if possible) or coach
• Witness report to be completed by medical staff, coach, manager, match official or volunteer present
2. Notify CHUBB Insurance, provincial union and Rugby Canada within 72 hours of the incident
• Should you have issues please call toll free 1-877-772-7797 (CHUBB Insurance)
3. Athlete must acquire a physician referral for treatment before an insurance claim can be reimbursed for any treatment / medical expense
4. Athlete acquires physician referral for treatment
5. Referrals, invoices and receipts must be scanned and emailed to Claims.A_H@chubb.com, provincial union contact and firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: Rugby Injury & Claim – ________(Athlete’s first and last name)
6. CHUBB Insurance Representative will process claim and notify athlete / parent of reimbursement
This season we have teamed up The Physio Shop on Commercial Drive. They will be providing taping services for our players on Saturdays before games. If you suffer an injury, we suggest that you use The Physio Shop as your choice of Physiotherapists and to ensure you are on the right path back to playing rugby.
If you have a musculoskeletal injury you can email Davin@thephysioshop.ca or set up an appointment online at www.thephysioshop.ca . If you are making a claim through the rugby insurance, ensure you follow the process outlined above.
For HEAD trauma/concussion contact Steve@thephysioshop.ca for an appointment. All concussion treatment is covered through the physiotherapy coverage through your rugby registration. Again, please follow the progress to ensure you will be refunded.
Got a hit in the head, face or neck, here is a great website to inform you and your family about what to look out for: https://parachute.ca/en/
Everyone is expected to have MSP (BC’s public health system) or some sort of travel insurance that covers rugby. New residents to BC should apply for MSP as soon as they arrive here. There is a 3 month waiting period before your coverage starts, but get the process going before then. Here is the link to get more information and get the process started:
When you pay your dues you are automatically signed up to BC’s excess medical plan. There is a process to make a claim, so before you do make sure you read the following page: http://www.scribesrfc.com/dues/bc-rugby-insurance-plan/