Basic Medical Coverage
All team members are required to have basic medical coverage, either through the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) or an alternative medical insurance, if ineligible for MSP.
Rugby Canada Coverage
Rugby Canada’s insurance policy does not provide medical coverage if you do not have basic medical insurance.
There is now a BC-wide rugby insurance plan for physio etc. for paid-up players. Here is what covered in the plan: click here
Making a supplemental coverage claim
Please see below for steps for current insurance claim process:
1. Immediately complete an injury and witness report as soon as possible after the incident occurred
- Injury report to be completed by athlete (if possible) or coach
- Witness report to be completed by medical staff, coach, manager, match official or volunteer present
- Claim form to be completed
- Dental claim form to be completed
- Authorize to disclose form to be completed
2. Notify Insurance, provincial union and Rugby Canada as soon as possible after the incident
- Scan and Email reports to email@example.com, provincial union contact, and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Should you have issues please call toll free 1-800-461-3292
3. Athlete must acquire a physician referral for treatment before an insurance claim can be reimbursed for any treatment / medical expense
4. Athlete acquires physician referral for treatment
5. Referrals, invoices and receipts must be scanned and emailed to Claims.A_H@chubb.com, provincial union contact and email@example.com with the Subject Line: Rugby Injury & Claim ________ (Athlete’s first and last name)
6. Insurance Representative will process claim and notify athlete / parent of reimbursement
7. All claims must be made within 90 days for the injury.
Additional information available on the BC Rugby website under Insurance Resources: https://bcrugby.com/about-us/membership-benefits/#toggle-id-3
Sept 2021 -This is still under review and will be updated shortly.
This season we have teamed up The Physio Shop on Commercial Drive. They will be providing taping services for our players on Saturdays before games. If you suffer an injury, we suggest that you use The Physio Shop as your choice of Physiotherapists and to ensure you are on the right path back to playing rugby. If you have a musculoskeletal injury you can emailÂ Davin@thephysioshop.caÂ or set up an appointment online atÂ www.thephysioshop.caÂ . If you are making a claim through the rugby insurance, ensure you follow the process outlined above.
For HEAD trauma/concussion contactÂ Steve@thephysioshop.caÂ for an appointment. All concussion treatment is covered through the physiotherapy coverage through your rugby registration. Again, please follow the progress to ensure you will be refunded.
Got a hit in the head, face or neck, here is a great website to inform you and your family about what to look out for:Â https://parachute.ca/en/
Everyone is expected to have MSP (BC public health system) or some sort of travel insurance that covers rugby. New residents to BC should apply for MSP as soon as they arrive here. Here is the link to get more information and get the process started:
Persons on a working holiday program need to have:
- a working permit valid for at least six consecutive months or more,
- must be staying in British Columbia for at least six consecutive months, and
- be working a minimum of 18 hours per week.
To apply for coverage, those with a valid working permit on a working holiday program must submit the Application for Enrolment form (HLTH 102) (PDF, 587KB) with both of the following items to determine eligibility:
- Confirmation of your employment in British Columbia with:
- a copy of your employment contract indicating full-time status or the number of hours worked per week, OR
- a letter from your employer stating the date employment started and expected to end, and indicate full-time status or the number of hours worked per week.
- Confirmation of your departure date from British Columbia
When you pay your dues you are automatically signed up to BC excess medical plan. There is a process to make a claim, so before you do make sure you read the following page: http://www.scribesrfc.com/dues/bc-rugby-insurance-plan/